Hungarian Tape Lace - Done!
I finished it off this afternoon, it took another hour to do the last filling. I ate some lunch and studied my notes from class, I needed to gather some courage to do the last sewings. As you can see, I've left the ends long. I'm such a coward when it comes to cutting the last bits of thread. I'll wait to cut them tomorrow when I take out the pins. Once I see that the lace will truly hold together off the pillow, I may have enough courage to cut.
I'm content to wait to take the pins out tomorrow. It looks so good right now, and who knows what could go wrong when the pins come out. I'm so excited I just can't believe I actually did it!
I started this little mat 4/20/07 at the GLLG's Spring Fling, and worked 13 hours in class. I kept track of my time, and worked another 15 hours to completion. That includes at least 2 times of serious retro-lacing. This is the most complex lace project I've ever completed, and I'm excited by how much I learned in Louise Colgan's class.
This little mat is about 5" square. I used DMC #80 ecru tatting cotton and 9 pairs. I learned how to make a pivot, false plaits with 1 pair, and fillings of plaits and picots with 2 pairs. I also learned a new way to start and end my lace.