Bobbin Lace - First trials and tribulations
I wound my bobbins over three evenings, taking my time because it made my left wrist ache a bit.
I started with the fan, and carefully laid out my pins and made the first two rows. I got to the third row, and realized I was 1 pair short. So I un-laced my little bit, and started again. That's not too bad, I thought, and managed to finish the fan and moved on to the trail.
I worked the trail to a stopping point, and looked at the bobbins. I had 6 pairs left, and my pricking said I only needed 4. So I un-laced again, and worked to the next stopping point.
Now I was ready to start the edge, but I had 5 pairs left, and only needed 4. I didn't want to un-lace a third time, and took a second to think things through. Finally I counted my pairs, and realized I had wound 16 pairs instead of 15. Whew. I'm glad I didn't decide to just stick it in somewhere.
I have just barely finished one repeat of this pattern, and I must admit my enthusiasm is flagging. I wound a yard on each bobbin because I wanted to do a small sample before I committed to the project. I think I will do another repeat or two and hope it gets easier. Right now I spend a lot of time looking at the book and it's very slow work.
I have found a different lace edging that might work. I've re-sized it for thicker thread, but will have to draw my own corners for the frame. I thought I was starting with enough time for this year's fair, but now I think I could have started sooner!